Yesterday, a coworker contacted me to get some assistance on a CRM 2011 Outlook Client installation issue. The issue was that the installation completed without a problem but the configuration of the Organization would hang.
Since there have been some recent challenges with the new CRM Outlook Client installation packages, I thought they might have a bad installation package so I downloaded the latest package and tried that. Unfortunately, I had the same result. My next step was to ensure the user had full rights on the explorer directory structure. I checked that, made a few modifications but the same error persisted.
At this point in the troubleshooting process, I opened the installation log file from C:\Users\<userName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\MSCRM\Logs. The log file is usually named something like Crm50ClientConfig.log. I opened the log file and did a search on the word ‘error’. I found the following two errors of interest in the file:
Error| Error connecting to URL: https://CRMServerName.crm.dynamics.com/XRMServices/2011/Discovery.svc Exception: Microsoft.Crm.CrmException: Logon failed due to missing credentials at Microsoft.Crm.Outlook.ClientAuth.PassportAuthProvider`1.SignIn() at Microsoft.Crm.Outlook.ClientAuth.ClientAuthProvidersFactory`1.SignIn(Uri endPoint, Credential credentials, AuthUIMode uiMode, IClientOrganizationContext context, Form parentWindow, Boolean retryOnError) at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.DeploymentsInfo.DeploymentInfo.LoadOrganizations(AuthUIMode uiMode, Form parentWindow, Credential credentials) at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.DeploymentsInfo.InternalLoadOrganizations(OrganizationDetailCollection orgs, AuthUIMode uiMode, Form parentWindow)
Error| Exception : Culture is not supported.
Parameter name: culture 0 (0x0000) is an invalid culture identifier. at Microsoft.Crm.MapiStore.DataStore.WaitInitialized() at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OutlookConfigurator.InitializeMapiStoreForFirstTime() at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.OutlookConfigurator.Configure(IProgressEventHandler progressEventHandler) at Microsoft.Crm.Application.Outlook.Config.ConfigEngine.Configure(Object stateInfo)
These were new errors for me and conducting an Internet search yielded no usable solution. Fortunately, a Microsoft Support Engineer was able to point me in the right direction.
The fix for me for this solution was to update the User Security role with ‘Write’ rights on User Settings.
I hope this helps if you are experiencing this issue.